I’ve been busy with my new website design, along with seeing patients, organizing a new support group for women in multicultural relationships, getting ready for the holiday season, and oh yeah…did I mention I’m also doing my PhD? What am I doing trying to blog too? I just have too many things I love to do! But I’m taking a quick break from all of this in order to attend to a pressing (and exciting!) matter…last week I received a message from fellow blogger Lisa at Tea and Giggles notifying me that she’d nominated me for the Liebster award!
“Liebster is a word with German origins meaning dearest, sweetest, kindest, and beloved. The Liebster Award exists only on the internet, and is an award given to bloggers by bloggers. The award is given to bloggers with less than 200 followers. The purpose of the Liebster Award is to recognize and discover upcoming talent in the blogosphere through a Pay it Forward initiative.”
One of the best things about blogging so far are all of the great connections I’ve made with other bloggers around the globe. Just the other day I was surprised with an email from a fellow American blogger in Spain who’d been reading my blog for the past couple of months. She’d be passing through Madrid for a couple of days and would love to meet me in person. What? A real life fan? What an honor!
Here are the rules involved with the award:
- You must link back to the person who nominated you (but cannot nominate them)
- You must answer the 10 questions given to the nominee before you.
- You must select 10 blogs with under 200 followers to answer your 10 questions.
Time to answer Lisa’s questions!
1) Coffee or tea?
I have a love/hate relationship with coffee. I’m happier, more energetic and more productive after a cup of coffee. But about an hour later I crash and usually feel cranky, headache-y and jittery. For that reason I usually start my day off with a cup of black tea. I must confess that Starbucks Christmas drinks are making coffee nearly impossible to resist.
2) Next place you are (or hope to) travel to?
Anywhere near the water. Some coastal options include Croatia, Greece or Nerja in Southern Spain. But honestly, I’d settle on hopping on a high speed train to Alicante on the Eastern coast of Spain. Even though I’ve been there several times before, I’m noticing that I’m going through beach withdrawals (which are actually worse than the above-mentioned coffee withdrawals)
3) What is your favourite photo from your travels?
There are so many to choose from!! But this photo from my first trip abroad is really special to me. It was taken back in 2005 during a week long trip to Sevilla, Spain which coincided with their annual fair. For the entire week we were there the city turned into a magical Flamenco inspired fairytale. I fell in love with the city, with the unexpected adventures that await you when you travel and with snapping pictures of once in a lifetime moments. (For more, check out my blog post on falling in love with Sevilla)
4) What’s the next song on your playlist?
I’m a little obsessed with the Holderness’ family’s Thanksgiving inspired “All About That Baste” parody right now. Sometimes the stuff that keeps us expats from feeling homesick during the holiday season can be a little strange.
5) Your spirit animal is a…?
What’s a spirit animal? Maybe I should know that, but I had to google it, which led me to find a quiz about my spirit animal and according to said quiz my spirit animal is a butterfly, which reminds me of one particular time when I was visiting Parque Guell in Barcelona and a butterfly perched on my finger for about ten minutes:
6) If you could take anyone on a road trip who would you bring? Where would you go?
I’d definitely bring my sister, and she’d be in charge of driving. I’d be in charge of choosing the music and selecting the best car games. We’d go along the coast of Spain to visit all of the best beaches.
7) What movie/tv show would you like to be a character in?
The Golden Girls. Yeah…what am I doing wanting to be part of a sitcom from the late 80’s/early 90’s about old ladies…? But I love that show, and I’d love nothing more than to laugh with Estelle Getty (R.I.P.) and Betty White.
8)The funniest thing you’ve seen on the internet this month?
See question 4!
9) You can only bring 10 items with you on a surprise vacation to your dream destination – what do you bring? And where are you going?!
I’d be headed to Bali and I’d bring 1) my journal, 2) sunglasses 3) sunscreen 4) toothbrush 5 & 6) two versatile outfits 7) a scarf 8) passport 9) camera 10) bikini
10) Riddle time: What travels around the world but stays in one spot?
Umm….my mom? She gets to see all sorts of places thanks to the postcards I send her way!
And here are my questions for my nominees (and, YES, I will be using my psychologist super powers to analyze the responses of each and every one of you…watch out!)
1) Mountains or ocean?
2) Which place can you travel to again and again?
3) If you only had 24 hours to live, how would you spend it?
4) What ONE word defines you?
5) Guilty (blog appropriate) pleasure?
6) Favorite quote?
7) If there was no risk of failure, what one thing would you try?
8) Who is your role model?
9) What picture that you’ve taken makes you want to grab your suitcase, pack your bags and hit the road right now?
10) What brings you joy?
And….my nominees are:
Thanks again for the nomination Lisa!